Thursday, May 29, 2014

Get to know : Risen and still shining "Dulla".


We were doing a little research about online shopping in Nepal and asked our readers what their fav stop was. All we read was 'DULLA'.We got curious.So a few days later we shot an email to Mr. Dulla himself with a set of question and he replied the very next day making me ashamed of my slackness. & yet, I am here posting this a few days later again. Now go ahead read about Dulla's life and work in detail. All written by himself.


     Tell us a little about yourself. Where are you from? What's your educational background?
      
      A guy who never liked studying and never excelled in his academics during his school days and repeated twice in standard 4 and 7 !! I am from Nepal. Did my schooling from Saint Augustine’s School , Kalimpong and then did my 3 years diploma in footwear technology from Delhi.

      What are your general professional and non-professional interests?


My professional interest would be branding and marketing strategy of products and entrepreneurship. Non professional interests would be basketball ball and travelling around. 

As working in 2 diff cities which one are you more interested in? In terms of Dulla and why? 

From Business point of view it would be Delhi. But I am pushing real hard to penetrate the market of Nepal and win the hearts of my own people here and be able to convince the product they buy is not just a product but a investment. And I can already see its already working with every collection I launch. 

One of Dulla's Very popular sandals.
When and how did you realize that “Footwear” was your thing? 

As a kid during my school days I was always interested in shoes but I never knew that I could study shoes until oneday when I was stuck in that phase of my life where I had to choose a career with a humanities background and sat down to see what options I had to choose from with my humanities background and then came across a career option footwear technology and instantly decided that’s what I am going to opt for and since I disliked studying this field had 80% pratical and jus 20 % theory so there was nothing much to study!!!!

What was your childhood like? Did u dream about shoes?

All I could remember about my childhood was struggling to get grades to get through each academic year and just pass out. Often I would be trying to sketch random basketball shoes when I use to get bored with my classes on my text books.

How long does it usually take you to construct a piece?

It depends from design to design the time it takes to craft a pair. A basic pair I can do it in a day’s time.

What was the first piece you ever designed?  

Ahh that would be a burnish oxford shoe that was 4 inch high and it was such a hit among the girls and I couldn’t imagine that a lot of girls from all around the world wanted to buy it . A girl from UK actually was ready to pay me 10,000 for that pair but unfortunately I couldn’t sell it as it meant a lot to me and was close to my heart being the first pair I had single handedly designed and crafted.

First shoe Designed.
How did you break into the market? 

With such a limited finance I only used free social media that was available to me and that was how to tried to expand my brand and till today I am still using only social media as my medium and slowly the people in media came up and automatically pushed the leverage in the market. A big thank you to the kind media people. 


What are some of your accomplishments as a designer? 

I think I am still yet to reach there. I have a lot to do and a lot more to show the people. Its just been 1 and half year that I launched my brand officially. 

Where can our readers buy your product? 

They can buy order directly from my facebook page or can go to stores in Bloom in Naxal or Civil Mall shop no 212 , second floor or House of fashion in Nepal.

How long have you worked as a designer? 
For about 4 years now.

How would you define your personal style? 
For me Simple designs are great designs. I like things minimal and basic.


Where do you get your inspiration? 
Miss Nepal 2002 Malvika Subba With his Bag. 
Anywhere and everywhere!!

What are some of your favorite fashion websites or magazines? 
Vogue

What are your favorite colors to work with and why? 
All time favorite Black & brown !!

What are some of your future plans? 
Start up a Shoe designing institute some day.

What are some of your fashion goals?
Make a UAT ( use and throw ) shoe for emergency cases esp for girls who cant wear high heels for long.

What do you think of this field in Nepal? 
All I can say that in Nepal the demand for this is field is good and very interesting as well.

Why do you think people need to invest in a pair of Dulla? 
A shoe that’s leather hand made shoes and in limited pairs and never ever made again once its over and above all Designed and made by a Nepali.


Any special message you want to deliver today through NFB? To your fans, upcoming shoe designers, family, maybe a special person? 

I have scored the respect I had always wanted in my own eyes if no one else’s.If you challenge yourself you will grow. You may have been seeking out the feedback, opinions, and advice of other people to help you make a decision. You may be figuring that all of those people have more expertise, greater wisdom, and more experience in general to be able to make the right choice. But you are the one, who will have to live with the consequences. You could wind up doing the wrong thing or missing out on an opportunity - and then who would you blame? You couldn't blame those whose guidance you sought. You could only blame yourself. You are the only one qualified to make an important choice now.

 We hope this article has been able to inspire you in different ways.Coz we sure were.We will be back              with a lot of interesting post soon so stay tuned. Until then, Keep it stylish.
 Love NFB.



No comments:

Post a Comment

shoot some love here

LookBook